Sunday, December 5, 2021

Day 10 (Part 2): When the World is Ruled by a Chub Chaser


Since I have had so much to say about Comuna 13, there are also many pictures and videos today I want to post, so I have to break my Day 10 into two parts like Day 7. After Comuna 13, I took the metro train to Parque Berrio, the historic district. There are a few attractions I like to see. But as I got out of the metro station, it was very crowded everywhere, inside and outside of the station. It was a Saturday afternoon after all, I am not sure I felt particular comfortable with this big crowds, not so much with regards to COVID, but pickpocketing that kind of stuff. I put my day bag in the front, and my hand holding my wallet in the pants. I picked up my Asian pace and just headed to find the museum I came to visit - Museo de Antioquia. 


Parque Berrio Video 

All other photos from Day 10 in Parque Berrio area are here

 
 

I walked past some people who were playing guitars, some older folks gathered and started dancing. It was so much fun to look at. That is Latin Americana I had in mind, passionate people. I did not stick around to watch them more than a few minutes. I kept marching through the crowds. Avoided getting too close to anybody, it is when someone suddenly bumped into you that is when they tried to get something from you. Stay the hell out, hot Asian coming through. Haha… not so much the hot part, but you get the idea how I just zipped through the crowds. Got to Museo de Antioquia, it is located in the Botero Plaza. The plaza is very beautiful, there are many public sculptures by the most famous Colombian artist Fernando Botero. I have become a huge fan of his works. He is obsessed with fat, all his subjects are in plus size, fat mona lisa, fat horse, fat guitar, fat prince, fat prostitute. He is actually the reason why I wanted to visit this museum. 

 
 

The museum is free to enter today, but donation is recommended, so I put in 10000 COP, since I have no idea what I will be seeing really. 3rd floor is where I would find the works of Fernando Botero, unfortunately, no pictures were allowed. As I walked through to see his works, I found that I really like his stuff, an idea suddenly came to mind, I wanted to get a whole bunch of postcard of his works and then I get some IKEA frame to make art piece for my wall. I did not see fat Mona Lisa, I did confirm with the stuff that fat Mona Lisa does not reside in Medellin. I will try to Botero Musuem next week. I walked the 2nd and 1st floors as well, the museum were more of the contemporary and Latino modern artworks. I was really impressed and enjoyed the museum through and through. There were some some dancing and singing in the garden, I was not exactly sure what the event was, but I watched a bit. It was great. The energy of some of those dances was amazing. It is my 2nd great activity for the day. 

 

Videos in Museo de Antioquia: 1, 2, 3   

All other photos from Day 10 in Museo de Antioquia are here

 

After a quick pastry and coffee at the museum cafĂ©, I left the area. Parque Berrio was too crowded for me, so I took the metro train back to Poblado, I did not take taxi, instead I walked through hills in Poblado see the neighborhoods during the day and partly I was also looking for an early dinner place. I walked past this ramen place called Sumo Ramen, google it, rated 4.5, ok I thought I would give it a try. As I entered, this Japanese guy (let’s call him Kaisei, I forgot his name really, but something like that) greeted me, he first spoke to me in Japanese, and then I said, I am Chino de Hong Kong. It is interesting, sometimes I introduced myself I am from Boston US, other times I would say I am from Hong Kong. I guess because he was Asian, unconsciously, I wanted to be relatable so I said I was from Hong Kong. I did explain that I now live in Boston. He actually started talking to me first, probably because I was Asian and he thought I was Japanese. We talked a little, he has been living in Colombia for 3 years now. I asked if he liked living in Colombia, he said it is ok, it is where his job is. I guess he is the manager or owner, he suggested me to try the Karaaga ramen, and I had some gyoza too. Be honest, the ramen was not that good, it had some Latino ingredients in it, like a slice of lime, and some zucchini and chopped lettuce as veggies instead of spring sprouts. That is so wrong. To me, those items are very out of place, but I am in Latin America, I eat what they eat. The heart was there, he specifically asked the server to give me some extra spicy oil. 


It was interesting to meet different people and have some small talks with them on the road. Like the two Florida tourist, or Stephan, or this Japanese ramen shop owner, through our brief exchange of conversations, I was trying to gauge why this person is being here, and we met and a very very brief glimpse into each other lives at least in my head. To them, probably I am just another gringo. Back to the Airbnb, I snapped a few more pictures of the views outside of my window. I want to remember this.  

All other photos from Day 10 in Poblado area are here.