Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Day 5: Roads to Alausi

After Cuenca, the only way is up, I will keep heading upwards on the map and find my way back to Quito in the coming days. I left Cuenca at around 9am. I found my bus without much trouble, although there was so few people at first, only 2 this time, I worry that they would cancel on me, luckily, they didn't. As usual, they picked up short distance passengers along the way. The bus filled up quickly. Tomorrow I will be one of those people flagging down a bus in the middle of the Pan-American Highway, will see how that goes. The bus ride was 4 hours long from Cuenca to Alausi, I sat on the first row, since I wanted to ask the money collecting guy where to get off at Alausi as we got closer. Though I think I picked the wrong side of the bus to sit, the other side clearly had some more fantastic views of the mountains and valleys, we passed by a cloud-filled valley like a cotton balls bath between the mountains, it was so beautiful. Now I am pretty much staying in the mountain communities, people are more traditional, it shows with their clothes. I smiled and bowed to people when they got on the bus, like I was a Walmart greeter.



The first two hours bus ride pretty much followed the same path as yesterday when I went to Ingapirca. Just before we got to the town of CaƱar, there was this old couple getting on, the old man was wearing a shirt and a pair of trousers, not unlike what my father would have worn. The woman was really old, could be his mom. She was sitting next to me. All in a sudden, I felt her hands went under my left thighs. My eyes went wild open, I was like EXCUSE ME, madam! I did not say it out loud obviously. I did not want to make a scene so I tried to stare downwards through the corner of my eyes and see what she was doing. I could not quite tell. Soon enough, I knew what happened, the bus went up and down the hill, whenever we were heading downhill, she tried to get a grasp of something. We were on the first row after all, so there were nothing to hold on to, at least I have my backpack in front of me. She was not the only one who did that, another old woman (again it was an old woman, maybe it is fate) sitting next to me, she did the same thing.


Journey continued, we passed by some really small towns, nothing more than a street. This mom carrying his kids on her back came up and sat next to me, he could not be more cuter, but he had salivas all over his face, I was playing peek-a-boo kind of faces with him. He had his hands filled with his salivas flying in the air, I was like, ok, do not touch me please, I said do not, and he did. Of course. As they got off, I made a yawn, and causally whipped it off on the chairs. After they left, perhaps it was another 40 mins later, we were approaching Alausi. I was on alert, kept monitoring the signs, since I really had no idea. Someone was just getting off, so I asked the money collecting boy: Alausi, aqui? I think he was trying to explain to me I could get off here, or further ahead, there is another spot he could drop me off. Since I had no clue, and the town center seemed to be walkable where the bus was, so I just got off. It was a 10 mins walk, I was at the train station, and my hostel was just another 3 mins further down the road off the train track. I think there are two exits to the Pan-American Highway for this town, usually people must use the second exit, but anyway, it is all good. I am here!


I left my bag at the hostel and went to find lunch. There were at least 10 plus pollo restaurants in this tiny town. I was daydreaming again what if I am running polleria as I were chewing down my chicken before the dog at the front door finished it with his eyes. There were so many stray dogs in this town, in fact, I just witnessed some indecent act in the middle of the road. San Petro is looking down up on a hill, for Pete's sake. It did not take me long to walk the whole town, although this hilly town was really killing me, it took extra effort with each steps. Riding the Devil's Nose Train (Nariz del Diablo) is the sole purpose many tourists come here, it is the lifeline of this town, and it shows, everywhere from the wall art to people attitude towards tourists.


Looked like I will have a quiet night, maybe watch a movie, just relax. I will wake up early for the train tomorrow. The train will depart at 8pm. After the train, I will head to another small town 45 mins north of here, called Guamote. The guesthouse I will be staying is the only guesthouse in Guamote, they also run a lot of social programs with the local communities, from what I read, they have some activities if I want to join, I could learn to cook Ecuadorian foods, visit a school or do a mountain hike. But since I won't get there until early afternoon, cooking might be the only choice left, will see.

See all Day 5 photos here.