Saturday, November 27, 2021

Day 3: My My My Lechona


Woke up with a beautiful weather, very few clouds, blue sky. My legs were still sore from yesterday’s walking, in particular my previous wounded knee. I was looking for a Korean day spa kind of thing, a hot tub sounds good for my legs when I woke up. Just want to take it easy, no mas caminar, por favor! I did not find anything worth visiting and we did not want to waste the beautiful weather, we decided to go back to central district to two things we missed yesterday: (1) Santuario Nuestra Señora del Carmen and (2) Torre Colpatria. A movie in the afternoon before Carlos head back home preparing for work tomorrow. At least that was the game plan of the day.


Before my Airbnb host came to fix the shower the 2nd time, we went down to find some breakfast, another Colombian dish - Changua - a warmed egg dish, in milk, celery, bread with finely chopped cilantro. It is ok, I don’t hate it, let’s say if I need a run to clear my system in the morning, I got it… it is a bowl of warm milk with egg and spongy bread, there were just way too many bread and they are way too soggy, I could not even finish it, which I felt bad. It may be a dish I would not order again, but I appreciate the experience, I really do.

We took a bus to central area again, and arrived at Santuario Nuestra Señora del Carmen just a little after 11am, boo who, they are closed today and tomorrow. They only open on Monday through Friday in the afternoon from 2-6pm. I will give it another try after I come back from Cartagena and Medellin. On the way to Torre Colpatria which is one of the high rise building in the city that has a mirador (viewing floor like the Empire State Building), Carlos had me tried another Columbian snack thingy – Buñuelos – deep fried cheese fritters. Oh this I like!

 

We waited for the Torro Colpatria viewing platform to open. They do check my COVID vaccine card and Massachusetts ID (I did not bring my passport today), which is great, and they accepted the photo of the vaccine card, which worked out fine. The viewing platform was on the 48th floor, we could not ask for better weather for this activity, we can see as far as we want, and one can see how massive Bogota is. That was a good call to go there today. After that, we spent 30 mins trying to find this lechona joint which they serve Lechona – stuffed roasted pig. The joint is this dinky place which has no more than 4 seats, the google map totally had the location wrong. We managed to find it in the end, and did not regret the effort. I really like it. I told Carlos that it is very similar to a Chinese suckling pig – the baby pig, and he was like, No, not the baby pig. I was like, pointing to this massive pig behind the counter, so is it cerdo senor?!

  

An uber ride to the movie theatre was in order. No mas caminar for the day. We watched the Ghostbuster: Afterlife at 2:40pm in Cine Colombia Andino. In Colombia, Hollywood movies are mostly dubbed in Spanish, but some individual shows played movie in original language with Spanish subtitle. Thanks goodness for that. They did check vaccine card before letting you in. I did not mention so far, but the mask mandate is still well in place for indoor and outdoor and the compliance rate is very high. Kudos to them!

After accompanying me back to the Airbnb, I said goodbye to Charlitos. Macha Gracias for showing me around for 2 whole days. If his work schedule permits, will try to see him again before going back to US. We said we may try to watch the Matrix new movie too. Meanwhile, it is time for me to venture down to find my dinner. No bueno Espanol, here we go, let’s see what I find!

All other photos from Day 3 are here.