Sunday, December 25, 2022

Day 13: The Antarctic Book of Exodus Part 3 and Beyond

Last night after I posted Day 12 blog, I went back to the main lounge room to see the entertainment provided by the expedition team. In a way, we were all being trapped together for 2 extra days, totally unanticipated at least for the passengers. I have to say that both the expedition team as well as the passengers all tried their best to remain calm, flexible and be at peace with whatever may come as much as we can. No one really complained even though this unintended delay has caused so much disruption on people's travel plans, some had to scramble to find alternative flights, others like myself lost one or two nights of other pre-booked accommodation in other places. In the end, we all were content that we had been in Antarctica and there were a whole lot more to be thankful for than feeling bitter about the delay. Besides, the fog had already cleared up outside the window, everyone rushed out to see the Antarctica sunset, my first time actually. It was beautiful. Looked like our new departure was promising.

We had our final breakfast in the morning, followed by a 12 mins photo slideshow from the official photographer who had been tirelessly snapping pictures during the entire trip. The expedition leader and the captain delivered some closing remarks in the last and farewell briefing. As the expedition leader said, it was indeed time to reflect, the things we have seen and experienced in the past 8 days, seemed to have flown by like a blink of an eye. But in a week, a month, a year after we go home and remember what we have seen and learned in this trip, we might suddenly realize how significant and how incredible this experience is, and maybe from this experience, we would be motivated to bring some changes within our own circle, to care about climate change, to care about the environment. Per the expedition leader's request, we ended this wonderful trip with everyone dancing to Pharrell William's Happy on the bow.

After the dance, we were mostly just waiting for the day to pass. We remained at Latitude 62° 12.154′ South and Longitude 58° 55.750′ West for almost 60 hours in total, I would remember this specific location. In the next blue moon, maybe under influence, this location might end up tattooed on my arm for no reason.

After lunch, we were watching the movie Chasing Ice, before it even finished, it was announced that the folks on flight 1 should begin to board the zodiac boat to get ashore to prepare for the departure, me included. We got on the plane around 4pm, and we landed in Punta Arenas just before 6pm. I pre-booked a 8:08pm bus ticket by Buses Fernandez to Puerto Natales. From their website, there was an earlier bus at 6:38pm, I was hoping to hop on it, but that bus never showed up, maybe because they were not expecting to pick up anyone at the airport stop, so they skipped it altogether. There was absolutely no sign where the bus would stop. But I have at least asked 3 people to ensure I was standing at the right spot. I waited close to 2 and a half hours in an empty airport for my bus, it was kind of eerie in a way. Meanwhile, I met a couple from Bermuda who had some mix up with their bus, the bus left without them. They were heading in the same direction as me, so I suggested they talk to my bus driver and maybe he would let them hop on as well. They did.

We arrived at Puerto Natales well past 11pm, I had not even eaten yet, just some nuts and half a tasteless brownie from the flight, that was my dinner of the night. I took a cab to the DT Loft where I would stay 4 nights. The room was so cozy, I think I would enjoy this place.