Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Day 3: Petrohue Waterfalls and Osorno Volcano

Today has been an amazing day I have to say. Finally got to see some amazing mountains and waterfalls. They are the primary reasons I picked this location to visit. If nothing else I get to see tomorrow because of the predicted rain, today I have accomplished what I came here to see so I am all set.

It was a small tour group, some of us met at the agency office, others were picked up along the way. They were from all walks of life, there was an older couple and their son from Peru, a Colombian father who was sitting next to me and his young kid. The Colombian father said he could translate for me if needed since the guide has limited english. And the Peruvian family were speaking to me in kindergarten level spanish plus a few english words. That Peruvian father consistently made sure that he would take my pictures with my phone and camera. All the pictures he took sucked but he was so sweet! There was also a retired American couple and her daughter and son-in-law. The parents lived in Portugal these days. We chatted a bit about America. They were from Texas originally, but no Trumpers thank god. A Chilean girl from Santiago and another couple not quite sure where they came from. All in all, everybody was very nice.

As we drove around the mountains through the other side of the volcano, we started to see the peak, turned out this area is very rainy usually, that is why the volcano is often covered by clouds, especially the side facing Puerto Varas. I was so glad that the peak saw its face today, though the volcano was actually smaller than I imagined. There are actually 3 volcanoes sitting next to each other: Osorno, Calbuco and sitting further behind is Tronador. Osorno and Calbuco are both active. Osorno's last eruption was 150 years old, while Calbuco was 7 years ago. Holy shit.

Our first stop was Petrohué Waterfalls, on a cloudless day, the Osorno volcano is right in the center backdrop of the waterfalls. It would have been amazing to see, but today the volcano was under the clouds when we were at the waterfalls. Still the waterfalls were so blue and green, I enjoyed my hour hiking around the waterfalls area on our own. I waited but the peak was not gonna come out before we left. After the waterfalls, we stopped by the Lagos Verde where we got on a boat and cruised around the lake. It was ok, not a must for me, for 6000 pesos. It was all very peaceful nonetheless.

After that, we went to lunch, which was kind of outrageously expensive, relatively speaking. The tour itself is only 30000 pesos equivalent to US$35, that lunch with a salmon and rice and a juice cost 21000 pesos. That would have been a hard pass if I would do this again. But at the restaurant, they did have the best view of the volcano. After lunch, everyone was kind of sleeping, but we were ascending the volcano next. Little did I know when we got up there, we had the option to take the chairlift to go further up to see the crater. It looked really scary, so I was not going to do it. But the Americans were like, "you are only gonna be here once! You are not coming back again!" I know, I was so scared. I started to walk around. But then, they decided to go, and asked me again, ok fine. I would tag along behind them, thinking it would ease my fear.

Going up was not too bad, even if I look down, it was not very tall. The ride was about 13-14 mins, there was a second cable to go further up but it was not running. I was glad actually, the second cable rail was going beyond the clouds. We walked around the crater, I felt very hot, not sure if it was the sun or the earth was actually warm. There were red crater, there were cliffs looking over the entire area, lakes, valleys... absolutely stunning. The Americans and I further chatted, what I do, where I have been, and about Hong Kong. They travelled quite extensively in Asia actually. It was just nice talking to people who are so open-minded and well-travelled. About 4pm, we are coming back down, that was terrifying, I barely looked down once or twice, I really cannot. There was a trail of yellow dots along the hillside, that is where I peed my pants. I was going to take a video, nope I cannot, both hands are holding the handrails so tight.

The tour was technically ending at the descent, and we were transported back to town. I was googled that you are supposed to tip the guide here, no one did. Anna (the guide) and Paulo (the driver) were beyond surprised that I put out 7000 pesos to give them, it was hardly 10 dollars US or practically two and a half coffee at the volcano cafe. They did spend the whole day with us, I feel good about that decision to leave a tip. That is so against my asian frugal self.

Back in town, I went to take some cash out from a Scotiabank ATM (partners of Bank of America), and I realized what a dump mistake it was for me to exchange some US$200 US local money at the airport. The rate at the ATM was so much better. Per airport rate, 7000 pesos was 10 US dollars, at the ATM, 7000 pesos was 8 US dollars. That is a huge difference. Damn!

Did my laundry and had some ramen which was not very good. So far, I have zero luck with meals here. Nothing I would go back for a second time.

Day 3 Photos: Here