Sunday, December 25, 2022

Day 15: Feliz Navidad en un Pueblo Fantasma

"Merry Christmas in a ghost town" is the title of today's blog. I did allow myself to sleep in a bit, and did not wake up until 8am. It is Christmas afterward. I was warned that most shops would be closed. After fixing myself some breakfast sandwiches and coffee, and catching up with some blogging, I decided to head to the bus terminal to check if there is a bus for me to go to Torres del Paine, maybe walk an hour and take the bus back is what I had in mind. The bus terminal was a mile from my B&B, the street was deserted. There were occasionally a homeless person and one or two tourists with a backpack walking by.

Got to the bus terminal, the bus company indeed was open. I checked if I could speak english, of course she said no. So, I said in my broken spanish "hay bus a Torres del Paine hoy?" I intended to ask "are there buses going to Torres del Paine today?" She is Yes. I followed "y regresso?" (and coming back). She asked "Hoy?" (today?), I nodded, and the answer was No. That means, I am going nowhere. I should have planned this better, I thought inside when I was walking back. But then I also could use a day off to catch up with my blog, video chat with Shelby to wake him up and say Merry Christmas, to just chill for a change. It is a very beautiful day though, it seems like a waste. But the bus company made the choice for me, esta bien then.

I finished all my blogs for the past few days, sorted out the photos, chatted with Shelby, ate the leftover pizza. It was 3pm when I ventured out to walk around town. Puerto Natales is really just a small town, surrounded by all these mountains. It is really pretty, I have found this old pier with just the woods remaining. It gave the mountains a wonderful perspective. There are some people now in the afternoon, still there is really not a whole lot to do. Plan to watch The Thing (1951 film) about the crew of a remote Arctic base fighting off a murderous monster from outer space. It would have been a perfect thing to watch in Antarctica. But we did not get the chance to do that. Someone mentioned it though during the last 2 days when we were trapped in fog.


Day 15 Photos: Here