Monday, December 19, 2022

Day 6: Young Seal's Daydream in the Buls Bay

It is technically the official sightseeing Day 1 in Antarctica, I got up quite a few times last night and early this morning because the cruise ship has been rocking quite a bit, it caused the blind to allow the daylight to keep peeking in, which was right above my eyes.

We had a slow start in the morning, just going through some safety drills and the official introduction of the guides for our daily zodiac excursions...etc.

Before noon, we were already getting quite close to Antarctica mainland, icebergs started popping out in the horizons, along with some isolated penguins standing or sliding on some icebergs.

After lunch, we found ourselves in Buls Bay, where we did our first Antarctic exploration on the zodiac boat. 110 people were divided into 4 teams, and each 10 persons in a team would get on the zodiac boat and follow one guide/zodiac driver. Our guide was an Argentinian, we made some jokes around the world cup, he said he will be sick Sunday (i.e. to watch the final). He was pretty knowledgeable about a lot of stuff and provided some good insights of the ices and animals surrounding us, we saw an avalanche rolling down a hill, penguins and a leopard seal.

Often we heard ice cracking sounds, in a the bay area, the sounds echoed around. For a moment, we only heard some distinct moan from a far, it was incredible as we were trying to figure that out in the tranquil water in Antarctica, awe and thrilling at the same time. The guide was trying to figure what it is and where it is coming from. Finally we spotted the young leopard seal, and our zodiac slowly approached and observed him. We got really quite close to the animal. As our zodiac boat passing through the pond of floating ices, it made this kind ice breaking apart in a glass of coke sound. I felt this was really quite out of this world, in a way, still cannot believe we are right now.

I am glad I did not touch the water, since we were going to a polar plunge after the zodiac excursion, plunge as in plunging into polar icy water, and there were enough crazy people who wanted to do it. I had sworn to Dimas I would not do it knowing the cold temperature, but again was convinced at the restaurant by two older women, they say you are gonna be here once, and this idiot decided to join the team spirit and jump the Antarctic ocean with only a pair of short, it was not even swimwear. Honestly, it happened so very much, I did not really feel much, until when I was getting out of the water. Now I have done the first time, I want to do it again.

Today the water has been much calmer and not rocking at all in the bay since we had some protection. A fellow passenger also give a small patch for seasick that I put behind my ear, so I don't have the urge for getting seasick anymore. The plunge actually also ease my fear on the zodiac boat too. I still grabbed tight the rope by the edge of the zodiac, but I don't get that I am about to fall feeling when I looked over the edge of the zodiac boat.


Antarctic weather can change within seconds, when we arrived the bay area, it was partly cloudy, and then sun was full out and I felt the burn on my head, another 5 seconds later, we were all covered by clouds again and looked like we would get trapped in some upcoming snow storm. We are cruising along the Antarctica Peninsula to LeMaire Channel, which is a channel between two mountains range. That's our morning plan tomorrow before breakfast.

For dinner, we sat with a few other people, two ex-military besties leaving their wife at home, and a mother and her son, I believe they all live around DC area, an Asian (Vietnamese), not exactly sure their relationship. It seems like a nice group of people and we had some nice chats. After dinner, we had a guide telling us her experience living 6 seasons in a penguin colony to study emperor penguin. Very interesting talk. Most of the guides are very friendly and you can see their passion about what they do. That is the beautiful part of all of these.

Aside from LeMaire Channel, we will do a zodiac excursion in the morning, and zodiac landing in the early evening. We will try anyway, it is all weather dependent.

Day 6 Photos: Here