Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Butt Light



This little side story happened on the plane from Miami to Lima, just a few hours ago. The airline is LAN, they run services mainly connecting to South America. The flight itself was only 5 hours and 5 mins long. We were served an incredibly late dinner, provided that our flight didn't take off until almost midnight, I had some kind of beef with beans and mashed potato, it sucked be honest, but everything else about this airline are not bad at all. They have this so called IN-Flight entertainment center in front of each seat, there are 54 movies, over 100 CDs, 19 games, TV, Radio and other features for you to entertain yourself during this slightly over 5 hours journey. I would have watched the Angels And Demons movie if I wasn't that tired. After vaporized my dinner, I tried so hard to make myself to fall asleep. I wished to at least turn in a few hours of sleep, so I would not need to spend my first day in Lima sleeping. But it's hard, knowing that you are arriving just a few hours, there are a few things on the immigration form you have no idea what they are asking, and you are heading to a place that is completely new to you. Anyhow, after they switched off the main light, I took off my glasses, hanged it on my shirt under my chin, month opened, and I just dosed away. Maybe an hour later, I re-adjusted my position, my butt accidentally hit on the "ultra-sensitive" light button on the remote for the In-Flight Entertainment Center, my light went on, bright as hell, it brought back straight back to the dry aircraft from my la la land. And I was trying to switch the light off. I had already waken myself up, no intention to awaken others. I reached to the light, there was no button up on the ceiling, that's just great. I looked down at the remote on the side with my half asleep eyes. Holy shit, I couldn't barely look at the icons, which is which. I ended up trying all the button, but also worried that some loud radio might come on. So, I told myself to chill, and looked more clearly which button might be for the light. Voila...when Jesus said, may there be light, there is light. I operated the opposite direction. The light was finally off. But thanks to this incident, I got wide awake. (Now, I feel extremely tired and want a bed to just lay down, waiting at the hostel, when will my room be ready?)

Back to the flight, the staffs are young and handsome, I must say, very Peruvians looking, with dark hairs, clear dark brown eyes, and sharp features. They would speak Spanish to you first, but are happy to speak English if you don't understand. They speak rather well actually. The seat is comfortable enough, I am kind of to the skinny body frame myself, so the leg room is never a problem for me, if the flight is slightly longer, perhaps I would sleep much better.

One coincidence, sitting next to me is also a Chinese, she is a Taiwanese girl. For some reasons, her boyfriend was taking the AA flight arriving 30 minutes earlier, they are going to travel in Peru for 3 weeks. Maybe they couldn't get a seat together or something, the flight I was on was rather full. She spoke mandarin to me, and I answered in English. We really didn't talk that much.