Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day 0 - Bon Voyage!



Sep 28, 5:35pm, my flight takes off from Chicago O'Hare airport, gate H11B. the gate was changed, I find out just a few minutes before the boarding begins. hurry to the gate, take a seat. My boarding number is 5, so it isn't my turn until 10-15 minutes later anyway. The flight isn't full, I have an aisle seat and the two seats next to me are empty. We start off a little bit bumpy, since the weather in Chicago isn't so great, cloudy and windy. A drink is offered, agua con ice, por favor. We watch the movie The Proposal in the 2 hours 30 minutes flight. It is ok, typical Sandra Bullock, Betty White is terrific though. (As I am typing this, I realize I need a dictionary or internet to check spell, since I can't spell, have I made any mistakes yet?)

Arrive at Miami Int'l airport at about 9pm (eastern time), my head is singing "...Miami is nice, so I say it twice, Miami is nice, Miami is nice..." from one of the Golden Girls episodes, Dorothea and Rose entered a song composition contest together. (My God...I must be completely poisoned by that show). Anyway, it's a pity that I can't quite see if Miami is all that nice, since it's already dark outside. The airport is quiet, I am surprised this airport is quite modern styled actually, the design I mean. Maybe this is a new terminal. I am kind of hungry after getting my flight from Chicago even though just before boarding, I have had a super tall Starbucks coffee and the banana nut cake Curt gave me at home. The cake is wonderful, thanks to Curt. :) I buy a caesar chicken sandwiches and a bottle of orange juice, for US$12.08. That's my last luxurious dinner (just kidding). One thing I notice, I have heard more Spanish than English here in Miami already. I guess I started to zone out from the English world and entering the Spanish world. Hopefully, I will be able to get around in Lima, and survive the first few days before I will start my Spanish class in Cuzco.

J18 is the gate I am waiting in Miami, a hour and half more to wait. Officially, this should really be the Day 0, since I am still within the US border, the flight will take off at 11:55pm. I will arrive in Lima at 4:30am. The hostel is supposed to pick me up. Now I only wish they will show up, otherwise... ha..ha.. it will be the first challenge I face in South America - to find another hostel in the middle of the night. This is just the 'ready for all occasion' me speaking. I am sure they would be there, since I just reconfirmed with them yesterday. They will hold a sign saying Benny Chan, and their hostel name Hitchhiker. Yes, a Hostel called hitchhiker, this is something I can't tell my mom, she will begin to worry, where I am heading to. :P Alrighty, hasta luego, my friends in America. It's my pleasure knowing you all. Thanks again for your friendships and tolerance to this somewhat wicked stubborn Chinese man.

More thoughts in Lima.