Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Travel Insurance is in Place

I have finally decided to buy a travel insurance, despite the fact that I am not a big believer in the insurance system at all. They make it sound like it's all for your security, for your own good, for the family... bullshit! It is just another form of gambling, they are gambling whether you will have accident, and people who buy insurance are placing a bet. I know... I know... this is just my prejustice toward the insurance companies, I admit that actually. I have nothing against people who buy insurance. In fact, there are a few categories of insurance, I would consider buying myself, such as those types for the house if I will ever own one myself. Other than that, probably travel insurance is the only one I would purchase from time to time.

Like this time!

Because of the duration of my trip, because of the regions I am visiting, I thought it might be wise to have some insurance in place. There are a few things I particularly want to have in the coverage are some basic and instant medical assistance, emergency evacuation and lost buggage. I like to have trip delay too, since I have learned how laid back the train and bus systems can be in South America, but unfortunately the one I am buying does not cover trip delay. Actually, to find a universal traveller insurance is not as easy as it sounds for THIS particular trip, because I am not a US-citizen, I will be departing from the US but not returning here at the end of my trip. It is a one way trip, from US to South America to Australia to Hong Kong. A lot of generic travel insurance REQUIRES that you depart and return to the same place. I checked with numerous insurance companies in both US and HK. The IMG's Patriot America is the only one that I am eligible to get for my kind of trip. I have no idea why they name it like that, but whatever, it fits what I need. It's a little more expensive than what I want to spend on insurance, because I chose the zero deductible kind. But it's done now, so I am happy and can put this behind my mind.