Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Shipment pickup - almost an heart attack



The shipping company has come to pick up my stuffs for shipping back to Hong Kong today. At the end, I decided to go with Shannon Express, since they seem to be most attentive, clear and require the least paperworks, besides they will store my stuffs for 2 months in their warehouse in very low cost. I think time wise, it will work for me better to ship out my stuffs in November, so I can be in HK in person to pick them up in December. Anyway, I was expecting them to come by in the afternoon, but they really didn't arrive until after 5:00pm. This guy, full beard tattooed kind of trunky in shorts and black t-shirt, parked his truck up front, I brought the boxes out and he lifted onto the trucks. After he finished, I asked him if he has any receipt for me.

He said: No
I said then: How do you know those boxes are mine? They only have a number on them. And you have a bunch of other boxes in the truck
He said: It'll be alright, I know what the other two are, and the rest are wrapped. It won't be confused
I asked: So you are going back to warehouse now
He said: Yeah

Even though he tried to convince me that it was all regular, they have done this many times before, I still really felt uncomfortable, man. I mean I don't have much, probably the least expensive shipment they have done in a long time, but it's a big part of my life and belongings packed in those boxes. I walked back inside and ran out again after I thought about it. I told him to wait and called the shipping company. Said, hey your guy came to pick up my stuffs but have no receipt or any documents for me, what can be done? The lady told me to print my own documents and have him sign it as a receipt. She explained that it was because when they made the pick up arrangement the driver was already on the road, so he could not have brought the paperwork. I was like, are you serious? But what can I do? So I did what she told me to. Meanwhile, I was all freaked out, trying to find the freaking battery for the laptop so that I can take it upstairs to print a packing slip for him to sign. The full beard tattooed guy was still waiting stone-faced in a truck outside. I was hurrying the printer, come on! I did what I was instructed anyway. He signed my packing slip, I made him a copy. Off he went.

Oh shit! I should have written down his trucks license number, and his name, I suddenly realized. What am I thinking? How much does his signature worth? Anyone can sign anything. So now, the truck has gone, I am REALLY freaked out. I called the shipping company, acted as calm as I can be, I asked for the same person who set up the paperwork for me and charged me money. She is very friendly, thanks god. I told her about the situation, that I felt really uncomfortable that there is no receipt. She said she understands and apologizes that they didn't bring the paperwork because they switched the driver in the morning or something like that. She confirmed me that this is their guy. I still asked her if possible, once confirmed that my boxes are received at their warehouse, P-L-E-A-S-E~~~ send me a receipt via email as soon as possible. In fact, she did it right away. I felt much better after I saw the temporary receipt she sent. But man, this episode has really tested my patience and reaction to crisis.

Disclaimer: In this episode, there may be some rising heart beats, but no animal or human have an actual heart attack.