Monday, September 28, 2009

Hong Kong - a place I call "home"


About me going back to Hong Kong, although some friends would prefer me to stay here in Chicago, they know that if I must go somewhere it's good that I am going home. We all need a "home" to return to I guess, where your family and friends are. That is the safety net, the one place that if you get all hurt from relationships or from works you can go back to and find your comforts. I admit, here in Chicago, it has been the closest I feel like a home for all my time I spent in the US, the friends I have gained, the city I have begun to know and man, I don't need to drive to live here. That's very important to a city boy like moi. And it's just a good feeling to know that if I suddenly lose a home here or someday I would want to come back to visit, there are a number of people who would let me crash in for a while.

Anyhow, decision's a decision. It's time for me to return home, I am content with that. In fact, I am filled with positive thoughts ever since I made the decision.

There are a few things I am definitely looking forward to...
- see my family and friends, especially my mother and a few really close friends. There I was, living aboard for 7 years, my friends and I are as close as yesterday. I know who they are and they know who I am. What else can one ask for? They are my safety net.

- meet some new people, ever since I started my music blog, got to know some new people who share the same passion in music with me, they are from Beijing, Hong Kong, everywhere on the globe. It would be great to meet them in person and maybe go to a concert or something. That would not be a bad idea.

- find a job. This is in fact THE most important thing on my head after I get back home. I am 34 years old. It is almost too late to start a career. But we'll see. (Hey people... this is the time, you should say something like, oh it's never too late kind of crap!)

- eat my mom's home cooking again. OMG...! Although my own cooking skills has improved over the years, nothing's great, but if I am left alone, I'd be able to fix myself something to eat (other than instant noodle, that's a change!). Still, mmmh, my mom's potato cake, the daily soup, chicken wing, pork cake, and just some pan-fried sausage are all I need now. They can not be more simple comfort foods, but it's mom's cooking, it always tastes better.

- earn some money, rent a place to live on my own, so I can invite all of you to visit me!

- learn fishing. Think I only told Ted before. When I went to Hawaii, I find that I really enjoyed fishing. It is a good patience training activity. Hope I can find some occasion to do that back home

- cafe chats with friends, basically it is like bar drinking with friends here in the States. The difference is that we are much more healthy! Haha..

Things I am not so much looking forward to...
- the rain: I don't like the monsoon rain, you get soaking wet no matter how well you prepared for it. I can stand the heat, but the typhoon and the rain, I can live without.

- the crowds: another thing that is unavoidable in Hong Kong. After living there for over 25 years, I would probably be able to find my way to deal with it. But still, it is not something I look forward to.

- my father would probably find some chances to remind me that it's time to find a girlfriend?!... Yeah right! It's not on the agenda, if you know what I mean. Luckily, my family is never controlling, so I don't think it'll be too big a problem.