Sunday, April 13, 2014

Day 1: A Day in Transit

In term of physical distance, Boston to Ushuaia is actually 1200 miles less than the distance between Boston and Hong Kong, but the journey to Ushuaia itself is rather indirect. I have to first take a bus to NYC, then a red eye flight to Buenos Aires, then a shuttle bus to change to the domestic airport, with layover for 4-5 hours and then take another domestic flight down to Ushuaia. There is only one flight a day to this remote city in the very bottom of Patagonia, so I cannot miss this flight. It is exciting to think about taking a journey to the end of the world, but to actually go through the bus and planes to get there can be very exhausting.

Right now, I am sitting in the domestic airport (AEP) in Buenos Aires, having cafe con leche and some pastry, waiting for my flight to Ushuaia, it is 7am, the sky has just brightened up. I am guessing Argentineans do not entertain themselves with the funky daylight saving time idea. The sun rises kind of late. It looks partly cloudy, but clouds are breaking so perhaps it is going to be a beautiful day here, it is not cold in Buenos Aires, just comfortable, I am heading down south though, it should get colder. My body is feeling exhausted, especially the shoulder with the big backpack thrown onto it from time to time. I should have done some exercise to prepare for carrying this thing for two weeks! Luckily, there are mostly clothes in there. Not terribly heavy. I have gone to farmacia to get some Bengay Latino just in case. :)


It has been a very long day, I got up at 5:15am yesterday to take a 7:30am bus to NYC, after grabbing a sandwich and a soup, I headed out to the JFK airport without any delay and I got on my flight at 4:10pm. However, the flight was delayed for 50 mins or so. I heard that is typical for this airline and for most South America airlines. It was a bumpy flight, I was in the middle of the middle section in the economy class. Not the best experience but not the worst neither, at least, I was seated next to a nice guy who didn’t mind me going to the bathroom quite a few time. Or actually he minded, but I did not know a word he said, so that does not count. I may have managed to sleep on and off for a few hours. Watched Nebraska. Had two meals, they were so so. The immigration and customs were surprisingly smooth. Hong Kong citizens do not need a visa to go to Argentina, the immigration officer were friendly. Stamped on my passport and here I am in Argentina! Woo-ooh!

Helpful notes to fellow travelers, the signs in EZE airport is not the best, I wanted to find a banco to exchange some money, it took me a few circle around and asked a few people before I found it. And I was supposed to go to Terminal B to take the airport transfer. Clear signs are really lacking on how to walk to terminal B from terminal A. People would help when you ask, but you do need to be good with directions to pick that up at one time. I just made my bus right in time. Another note, if you are taking Aerolineas Argentinas, they provide a free airport transfer BUT you must request a boarding pass at your port of origin.

OK... more flight time is awaiting. On my first day in Ushuaia I only need to do two things, (1) go to the tour agency to confirm if the penguins tour is a go or no go, and (2) to catch up with some sleeps! More later.

Here is the traveler who has not showered for over 26 hours!