Monday, April 21, 2014

Ushuaia: Restaurants, Accommodation and Tours

Thought I would also summarize a little bit about the foods, the tours and the B&B I have stayed in Ushuaia, also includes some hyperlinks and pictures for my fellow travelers.

Restaurants
I don’t eat extravagantly everyday, but I try to have a good meal once in a while, and try something local if possible. Overall the meals costs between US$10-30. For tipping, I don’t think it is required, but I do 10% anyway. Unlike Peru, the foods and coffee culture in Argentina is at a different level, and can be expensive. I went to Tante Sara Cafe twice, for dinner and for lunch. My first dinner in Ushuaia was chicken and spinach ravioli in Bolognese sauce dish. The ravioli and the sauce were actually charged separately. I guess as with most pasta dishes, it is gonna be like that. The ravioli was good, but not excellent. With water and tips, it came to be around AR$160 (equivalent to US$20).


Anyhow, the flat bread called flat meditarraneo from the same restaurant I had for lunch was really good, also with agua sin gas, it came up to be around AR$110 (US$15). On the second night, I went to Küar 1900 where I had a king crab risotto, which was fantastico. It cost about AR$190 (US$24). On the third day, I had lunch at a restaurant called Banana’s, I had their menu del dia, which included an onion creamy soup of some kind, a risotto and a coffee or tea afterwards, The menu set was AR$80 (US$10), I also had a local orange soda. So, in total, it was about AR$110 (US$15).


In general, I think drinks are more expensive, water (with or without gas) in restaurant cost about AR$20 (US$2.5). So, I tend to go to a supermarket to get some drinks and snacks on the first day I get to a town. They don’t have any good choice of apple, only “tranny” apple, very old and ugly one. I got banana instead. Hope there are better apples in the other towns.


Tanta Sara Cafe+Bar
Address: San Martin 701 y Fadul, Ushuaia
Telephone: +542901423912

Küar 1900
Address: San Martin 471, Ushuaia
Telephone: +54290115518530

Banana’s
Address: San Martin 273, Ushuaia
Telephone: +542901424021


Accommodation
The B&B I stayed is called Valle Frio Ushuaia, run by two brothers, very nice gentlemen and helpful. It is about 5 blocks up a small hill from the city center/port. It is not fancy nancy type of B&B, but it is clean and is pretty charming in its own way. If you have a tour in the morning and need to get to the port, it takes about 5-10 mins to walk to the port from the B&B. Not bad at all. They do safe in the room and very nicely prepared, a power adapter or splitter whatever you call, that will work for US plug. I think that is very considerate of them to do that. Hotel and B&B in Ushuaia in general are not cheap, especially in peak season, mostly over US$200. This one is in the lower range for the B&B category. I think they charged me US$80 a night. I would totally recommend it.


Valle Frio Ushuaia
Address: Bouchard No 310, Ushuaia 9410, Argentina
Telephone: +542901423610


Tours
Two of three tours (National Park + End of the World Train tour and Navigation in the Beagle Channel tour) I have joined are pretty standard, the penguin tour is only run by one travel agency. I booked all of them from Pira Tours, they are responsive from their website and in email exchange, which I like. I did book my tours ahead of time, but when I got here, I could see that even if you did not book any tours, it should be easy enough to find some tours the day before. When I was in the states, they seemed to have trouble letting me to pay the tours online with my credit card. I noticed a few Tripadvisor comments about the same issue. But they did reserve the tours for me and I came to pay in person the day before with cash (or credit card). They do accept American dollars as well. At the time when I am traveling, it is actually better to pay in dollars. Depending on the exchange rate, one can consider doing that. They do have two locations, one on San Martin street, the other one by the port you cannot miss it. For tipping, apparently it is also not required. But for the first tour to the National Park, I think the guide did a fantastic job, so I did give him AR$50 tip (which is equivalent to US$6). For the two tours, it were a bigger tour, and the guides were very impersonal, so I didn’t give any tips, nor did I see anyone did.

Pira Tours
Address: San Martin 847, Ushuaia
Telephone: +5402901435557