Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day 5 (Part 2): Luggage Delayed, Storm’s Coming

Of course, as always there would be some bumpy parts when you are on the roads. Things turned south pretty rapidly when I landed Bariloche. I made the flight, however, my backpack did not. Aww... I was waiting and waiting at baggage claim until the belt stopped, I asked the security guy, no mas? (almost crying) Por que no~~?! So he told me to go talk to the airline people, they found that the bag did not make the flight but would be coming in a later flight tonight. They are supposed to deliver the bag to me at where I am staying. Often times they would do it the next day. So, poor me, have no clean clothes to change tonight, no shower, and can not brush my teeth. All I have are my computer, camera, some documents, snacks, the expensive stuff. Geez!

Bariloche airport is SO small and quiet. After I dealt with the airline people, everyone had already left. The airport was kind of dead, I found a customer service lady hidden behind some door, I asked her about the shuttle bus to town (which would be an hour and a half later!) and she helped me to call Ana, who will be my landlord for the next days. She was very kind, going to meet me at the apartment around 7pm after she picked up her daughter. So, I started waiting for the shuttle bus, there wasn’t even a taxi around, it was that quiet. A parking lot with only me, a backpack guy and the winds, kind of like an old western movie. It was so bloody windy, from the other side of the mountains, it seemed there is a rain storm coming.

I also talked to Ernesto on the phone at the airport, he didn’t give me good news, he said the winds is at the limit level that we may not be able to do the paragliding tomorrow. He said 4/18 definitely do not look good, tomorrow morning may have a possibility but I should call him at 9am to figure it out then. The other possibility I have is 4/20, the day I am going to Buenos Aires, that morning I may be able to squeeze this in, if the weather will allow and if he will be available. I have not talked to him about 4/20. But we will see. I mean I can understand, that wind at the airport was kind of freaky.

The shuttle bus came finally at 6:20pm, it was really more like a minivan with 16 seats, I got to town safely. Town is 9 miles away from the airport. Bariloche felt really different than Ushuaia, it is more modern and more residential, it can easily be any residential area in HK (like North Point or even Aberdeen), I mean the buildings are much shorter here of course, but the kid stationary shop, the fruit shop, pharmacy, the supermarket, they all have HK local feel to it, for whatever reasons. I arrived at Ana’s apartment, waiting for her up front. With the wind and rains, I felt a lot colder here than Ushuaia and I was shivering. She was finally here after 15 mins or so, and she gave me a kiss...!! Seriously on the cheek, I mean.... O-kay.... I guess it is an Argentinean thing, I noticed guys always kissed girls whoever they are when they greeted. It is a little more intimate than my tradition, but ok I would play along with it for now, it is a very dry one. She took me to the apartment. Oh My God!


It is really nice. It is a studio, so there is a bed, a tv, and open kitchen with basic applicants, some chairs, a huge windows facing the lake, the floor is probably not real wood, but wood looking and still very nice. The building even has a indoor pool. It is a few blocks from the city center, totally walkable, supermarket is one block away. I will have to explore the surrounding more tomorrow. But holy cow! I am paying US$48 a night for this place, that is cheap, right?

Just went to the supermarket picked up some tuna, ham, bread, juice, apple, and banana. That’s the dinner for the night. With the rain and without an umbrella, I don’t feel like going out to hunt for a restaurant in town. Friends, please have all your fingers crossed for me, hope the airline will send me back my bag tonight, and the wind will calm down for at least a few hours in the morning so I can take the paragliding flight.