Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Day 3 (Part 2): March with the Penguins

Continued with my Day 3 adventure. One of the planned highlights of this trip is to see the penguin colony. I was so happy that the tour still run, though I later found out that it was one of the last ones for this season, last 2nd day to be exact, because the majority of the penguins had already migrated. Anyhow, we were told that we would still see at least 2 types of the 3 penguins that colonized that island. The road trip to get to the tiny tuxedo men was long, a hour and half on the bus, then we jumped on a small fast boat to the penguin island. The boat ride was about 15 mins or so. It was a private island and only the tour company we went with run this tour apparently. Samantha, the chinese girl I met in the morning was also on this tour, so on the way to the penguins, we talked about travels, various places we visited, exchanging notes about traveling in Argentina and South America in general. That sure made the time go faster.


It was a big tour group, and the group was split into two small groups to go onto the island. I was among the first group to go. The fast boat landed the isolated island, something like you would have seen in a Pirates of the Caribbean... ok, not exactly since there is no penguins in the Caribbean I don’t think. Anyhow, it sure felt like an adventure like that. We had to walk very carefully, in a straight line, since there were a lot of holes on the ground, for which the penguins had dig to lay eggs. Before long, we already saw some penguins ahead of us, we walked towards them, they didn’t seem to mind. They just stood there, head looked up, occasionally yawned, or argued with each other, or sung a song. I believe that the type of penguins we saw was called Pygoscellis papua, and there were also two King penguins among them, the ones with the hint of orange yellow around their necks. Very beautiful. They stood guard-like still, didn’t speak much, very majestic.


Overall, I was disappointed to say the number of penguins were much less than I had envisioned, there maybe 40-50 of them left behind. The guide told us that they counted 6000 pairs of penguins (counted by the holes) on the island during the summer month (maybe just a month ago), that would have been magnificent. Instead of writing a blog about it, I might make a documentary out of this trip. But oh well, I got here, I saw the penguins up close and personal, that is all matters. They were so freaking cute. You could not stop yourself from taking one more picture, very animated, very happy feet, sometimes like a penguin Juliet running to her romeo. To be able to see that, it was priceless. 

There also were some unique birds on the island, they were ok, more like turkey, all I could think of was Thankgiving. The penguins were not as stinky as I thought, maybe they did take a shower once in a while, but I am sure I stepped on more dung-a-dung than ever in my life. Based on the colors of the dung, there were lots of vegans on this island, not a pretty scene. Before I will depart from Ushuaia, I will need to give my shoes a bath, or they wouldn’t let me get on the plane.


After the penguins, we went to a really so-so museum nearby. It is one of those museums you could not really spend more than 5-10 minutes at, one room with a bunch of giant fish bones. It is ok. We waited for the second group to finish, followed by a long road trip back to town. I mean I would still recommend the penguin tour, but one should do it during the summer months here.

For dinner, I did try that king crab risotto in the restaurant that were closed the night before. It was really good. When I got back to the B&B, it was already after 10pm. Wrote a few things down, then I crashed into the bed. That was a good day, it really was!


More sights and sounds of the day: