Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day 5 (Part 1): Adios Ushuaia! Hola Bariloche!


Times have gone by so fast, my 4 days in Ushuaia has come to an end so soon already. Woke up at 6:20am to take a shower and get my backpack ready. Lang Lang welcomed me with breakfast at 7am this morning. I talked to him a little more, apparently he and his brother has been taking care of this B&B for 8 years. It is his full time job. He was born and grew up in Ushuaia all his life, love it here. Who wouldn’t. I can imagine if I was born in a small town like Ushuaia, I would really appreciate the remoteness and peacefulness of this town, like whatever shit is happening elsewhere in the world, it would hardly ever get there. As I was chewing my third pastry (every morning he has given a basket of pastry, a coffee cake, some ham, more bread, coffee and juice, I am totally pastry out!), I started to romantically daydream I would be running a B&B myself someday, I wouldn’t mind to cook for the guests, ask them where they come from and where they are going, I wouldn’t mind to make their beds neither, and assist them in any way I can. Even to clean the bathroom, that probably is the last thing I prefer to do, I don’t think it would be too bad though. Aah.. wouldn’t it be nice?


Back to the reality here, Lang Lang helped me to call a taxi, I was waiting in the living room taking pictures of the day break. The sunrise in Ushuaia is very beautiful, the pointy mountains made a nice silhouette as the backdrop for the town, the other side is the ocean where the sun come up every morning. Suddenly, Lang Lang asked me how I like to pay for the room, I thought Hotel.com always charged me in advance, so that came kind of a minor surprise. Though I had this experience in Japan once with Booking.com that they actually didn’t charge me, I had to pay at the hotel. So this was not completely new to me, nonetheless just to make sure, I asked to check my credit card statement online. there was no charge found from hotel.com, so I settled the bill, thanks Lang Lang and left. Because the cab driver had been waiting, I forgot to give him a handshake, shoot! But I will give a good reviews for them on various websites for sure when I get back to the states.


Today is pretty much another day in transit, I would first fly to Buenos Aires and change to another flight to Bariloche. The connection is really short, 50 mins no more no less. But it is with the same airline and within the same terminal in BA. So everyone from the airline told me it should be ok. The only things I need to do when I get to Bariloche, is to find Ana, the landlord who rent me her studio apartment. This is my first experience with Airbnb. Hopefully, it will go smooth. I also need to call Ernesto to confirm my paragliding trip tomorrow. When I wrote him an email last week, he said the weather forecast should be fine. I am pretty excited and nervous at the same times about the paragliding trip. More excited I guess. I only hope I won’t pee in my pants.

In Bariloche, I will have a day tour to a remote town called San Martin de los Andes on Thursday, and I will go down to Esquel to take the Patagonian Express on Friday. I really can’t wait. Bariloche is also famous for its chocolate festival, it should be happening during my visit, they will try to build the biggest easter chocolate egg in the world. Too bad I don’t like chocolate, but it will be cool to see it for sure.