Friday, April 18, 2014

Day 7: A Rainy Day with Typhoon-like Wind

I woke up very early today, the winds were so strong, and it sounded like a hurricane outside the window. By the time I arrived at the meeting place for the tour, the sky was just about to get brighter, it was 8am in the morning. I was greeted by the guide, sat me down on the first row, and then we headed out to pick up other tour mates. Of course, at the end, I was the only one who didn’t speak Spanish again. I think the problem here is that there are not enough demand for English tours, so end up they would just throw you in one of the other Spanish tours, with a guide giving you some special attention. So, the Bariloche mama from the tour agency yesterday was right, it was a waste of money to go to an so-called “English” tour, which you would pay almost 2-3 times as much. There is really no difference. Well, ok there is a tiny little difference, at least the guide today did tell me what time I should return to the bus. And occasionally he would translate some names of the lakes for me, like Lago Villarino, he would tell me this is Lake Villarino. No kidding! :)


We were supposed to ride along the 7 lakes route and visited two towns. It was pretty much raining all morning, so the marble green lakes were not as pretty in the pictures. But I have to say, this 7 lake routes kind of reminded of the road to Hana in Hawaii, or the Big Sur (route 1) in California, with some sections turning into the winding roads in Vermont during the Falls, because of the Fall foliages here I guess. It would have been very pretty if the weather is better today. And if anyone is interested, I would even recommend to rent a car to drive along this route, instead of joining this tour. This tour seemed to focus more in getting you to the two towns, which were a big disappointment to me. They were kind of plastic to me, very man-made tourist town with many shops and restaurants. They had no character whatsoever. I would probably enjoy more if they made more stops on the overlooks along the way. But with the rains, so I guess it is understandable that they skipped some overlooks.

Anyway, I believe there are beauty in everything in the world, even in the most boring tour, I usually found something else that might be inspiring or interesting. Today, to me, the highlight para mi was actually noticing a tea cup the tour driver had, when they made stops, he would pull it out, poured some hot water, there were already some tea leafs which looked like metals actually. He would drink it through a metal straw. The interesting part was that they shared it among each other, the same cup same straw. All the tour guides and bus drivers would gather around, smoking and passing this common tea cup, and sipping away. Meanwhile the silly tourists would be snapping photos of those dull lakes in the fog. I wonder what kind of tea they were drinking. Could it be coco tea? The way they drank it was like a smoking pipe.


Not much else to report about the tour today. Been there done that. Now I am looking forward to my Patagonian Express train ride tomorrow. I need to get up really early to take a bus down to a small town called Esquel, meeting a person named Jorge whom I actually got to know on Tripadvisor. He will be giving me the ticket and tell me the taxi driver name who will be taking me back. I only hope the weather will be better tomorrow.


Oh another interesting observation here, like Ushuaia, there are a lot of stray dogs everywhere here as well, I think it might be an Argentinean thing or a Catholic thing, I don’t know. But there are also mucho mucho hitchhikers on the roads, a lot of them are not even solo, but a whole family (a dad with two little girls dressed in cute outfits). I was like, mmm, that looks kind of odds. But maybe because these small towns by the Andes are so remote, and the only public transportations are mini buses, and they are not as frequent as one hopes. So, perhaps it is more common to hitchhike. I don’t know if I can ever do that though.


Also, another observation, in the US, we usually wait to be seated by the door after you entered. Here it is definitely not the case. Everytime I go in a restaurant and try to ask for a table from a server. He or she would be like oh sit anywhere you want. From what I see, usually you would grab a free table and then they would come giving the menu. Speaking of restaurant, today I had Ravoliones de Espinaca (some kind of preserved vegetables in the Ravoli or something) and dinner I had Trucha con Salsa de Hongos y Papas Espanolas (I think it is Trout in mushroom sauce, looked bad but tasted good actually.)