Saturday, October 3, 2009

The daughter kingdom in this homestay



First night at the homestay in Cuzco, the houselady - I have been calling that because I don't know how to call her - is a grandma of the house, she has 5 daughters, 2 of them with their children lives in this complex too. But strangely there is no male. One of the daughter has a 12 years old son, and the other has a 2 years old son and a 6 years old daughter. Other than those two little winner sausages, there are really no other male creatures in the house. What have the men gone?! I can't ask that kind of questions. But I wonder.

Grandma fixed lunch and dinner for me. I want to say they tasted much better than all the meals I have in Lima. Peruvians' big flavors are still there, but this is definitely more agreeing with my stomach. This afternoon, for lunch, we have a bowl of soup with french fries in it, kind of weird but it actually tastes good. Then we have chicken with rice, and after that end with a chopped banana with some fruit jam. For dinner, we have pork chop with rice, and a small round cake, and more coca tea of course. I actually feel ok, but I decide to stay in, while the american girl has gone out. This is my first day on the highland, I really should take it super easy.

Apart from the inconvenience of the internet, I enjoy this place so far. Like tonight, I am not going out, I can just write my blog on my laptop. Download and edit the photos. Listen to chinese music and if I don't feel sleepy yet, I can start reading the novel I brought - The Cider House Rules, although I probably save it for another night... I probably couldn't focus in reading with my light-headedness.