Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 3 - Barranco, Lima



Today is like a rollercoaster. Start off with a very rough morning, but the afternoon to evening was getting better... First off, I was kept awaken by a garbage pick up truck at 2am in the morning, it seemed like forever before they would leave me alone. And then the traffic noise was already screaming in at 7am, so I did't sleep and woke up quite early. Thought I would take a shower before everyone, it was a naive thought, there was already a line. So, I waited, pee, went back to the room to get the towel and toiletry, found that I lost my spot already since someone already took over the bathroom. Finally my turn, no toilet paper, oh sweet, and I took another cold shower again. I was literally shaking my bones off. But I got the shower done quickly, went back to my room, groomy, waiting to chat with some friends in Hong Kong. Feel homesick, I am such a kiddo, the third day I am feeling homesick already. Friends kept me company till 11:30am, I still planned on going out today to see another part of Lima, a place called Barranco.

I got myself ready, again I asked the front desk lady where to take the bus, she told me at Canadian Embassy, I walked there no bus sign, there are 4 corners with 4 different directions, She mentioned south, where is south? So, I walked around and turned back, saw a guy standing at the door, so I tried to compose some broken Spanish to ask a question, "Donde estan las autobuses por Barranco?" (Where are the buses for Barranco) He didn't understand or he didn't hear me clearly, so I rephased, "autobuses por Barranco aqui? (Buses for Barranco here? at least that's what I thought I was saying). He understood, he asked another man, that man was very generous, he waited the bus for me and called them to stop and told me where I am going. So, another success with the bus, score 2.

Got to Barranco, quite a nice area with lots of colonial building, it's so much quieter, if I have known, I would pick a hostel that way, so I can get some sleep at nights. I picked up my camera to get some pictures, shoot, the SD card was left in the computer, I was like, all mad at myself for 2 seconds, then I realize, hold on a sec, I have my computer with me today, because I was planning to find a cafe to get online, just have an easy afternoon. So, I found a place to eat, walked around the area, I even walked all the way down to the rock beach, where some couples were making out, I took a picture of it. The area is not very big, but quite peaceful (in Lima standard). I was done with the sightseeing at 3pm already, and then I found a cafe where I can get online. Had a latte and chatted with a friend in Hong Kong again, I was on a headphone, but mic is actually on above my monitor, so I was like a crazy chinese man speaking string and string of chinese into the monitor. They must think I was nutcase or something. It was actually quite relaxing there. The afternoon was so much better already compared to the morning, again I successfully caught a bus back.

Paid my hostel bill, 3 nights is like 168 Soles (about US$54), the airport pick up and tomorrow taxi fee to the airport is like US$26. After this experience, I am considering how up one level, to find some better hostel with HOT WATER constantly and hopefully a private bath.

Dinner I have given myself a treat, and went to an italian restaurant and have some kind of a pasta with pesto sauce. It was ok. I have been eating the local food for lunch 3 days on a row, I started to carve for something western, but not McDonalds. Anyway, the dinner was like 22 Soles, I paid 3 Soles tip, it's equivalent to US$8.3, you go to a Chipoles and it can be more expensive than that. So, I am ok. Not everyone, but once in a while, I need some recharge.

Photos here: Day 3

Footnote: This morning I was feeling really low, to a point that I want to change my itinerary, just go to the few major must-see sites and drop the other side stuffs. But the afternoon turned out to be not too bad, I think maybe I am just in a culture shock and kind of experiencing some initial anxiety... hopefully it will be easier in Cuzco once I will start the spanish course. But, I am still considering to up my travel standard one level, meaning to stay at some slightly better hostel and maybe hire a guide here or there wherever needed. The cost will naturally increase, I need to redo the planning when I have more time in Cuzco. I will stay there for 3 and a half weeks.