Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day 15 - Good day with Spanish



Isn't that interesting? I just mentioned it was THE most difficult day with my Spanish class yesterday, when I felt like I was far behind from everyone. What do I know? Today I feel like I am doing ok afterall. I am even amazed with some sentences I am capable of writing. For instance, in yesterday's homework, I wrote: quiero comprarme un lapicero, lo necesito azul y fino (I want to buy a pen, it needs to be blue and fine-point) or another one: él canta su canción favorita constantemente (he sings his favorite song all the time). Today, we continues with the topics of special words (like, love, interest, disturb, surprise, worry, miss...etc) and reflexive verbs (do something to one's self has a different way to say in Spanish. This kind of expression does not even exist in English). In addition, we also start to learn some irregular verbs which conguate a little differently than regular verbs. I am actually enjoying it, because it has some structures to follow, and with pen and paper, I can write it down properly before I say it. Like in class, I have written today: ¿te alegrar estar vivo? (Are you happy to be alive?) It is such a corny question but I wouldn't expect that I'll be able to say that in Spanish. For today's homework, I write: Despues de partido de fútbol, él se ducha inmediatamente (After the football match, he takes a shower immediately.) I am not sure if it is correct, but it sounds like Spanish to me. Hehe... :P

Apart from Spanish, I visit two more museums this morning: Museum of Popular Art, and an archaeological museum under the Sun Temple. Both are not very interesting, I must say. In US or European standards, the museums here are more an tiny exhibition in the hallway of some office buildings. I guess museums are the strong suits of the South American. They are usually not well-organized, and small. A majority of people come to South America to see archaeological sites, colonial churches, carnivals...etc. Museums... hmm... probably no. Tomorrow though, I am going to give Inka Museum a try, it is supposed to be good. It's better be, cause I will have to pay to get in. It is not included in the tourist ticket.

Have a really good chat with Amanda after dinner. Just the two of us at the table, we must have talked over an hour, just talking about why we come down to South America, work, values and just life in general. I am like 9 years older than her, but quite frankly I see the younger me in her right now, in some ways. Like what she is going through, I have gone through the same path myself more or less. It is a strange feeling honestly, like all these years, there are some things in my head I have been trying to figure out, and at times feel like nobody understands why something seems insignificant matters to me so much, but not to others. But now, I suddenly feel that there are actually handful of people on the same boat as me. Anyway, I give her the most honest advice I can give. :) I hope through this chat, we does not only understand each other better, but at the same time, we get to understand ourselves a little better. Sometimes all we need is a little chat with someone completely new, like he or she also brings some new lights onto the puzzle in our head.

What else...? Oh, I have bought some Vitamin B. Supposedly, it will help to avoid insert bite if I take it starting a week before I go to the countryside. Some people say it will create some odor in your body that the mosquitoes won't like but human cannot smell that odor. Everyone came back from Machu Picchu I have seen so far are badly bitten. If one has put on insert repellent, he or she may still get 10-15 bits, one who has not put on insert repellent, it gets much much worst. So, after seeing Amanda's arms and Alan's legs, I will try whatever that might help! Guess I'll be the test tube child, see if the vitamin B works.

Anyway, again, no picture today. Guess the next time I will take a lot of picture would be this Friday. I also want to take some pictures with my classmates too. This Spanish school experience is really precious, I get to know a lot of interesting people.