Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 5 - Cuzco is the place to visit



It has been a wonderful day. First, woke up like 6:15am after a very good restful night. Had breakfast with Alicia - the houselady (I finally figured it out her name, there are two Alicia in the house), while Amanda (the American student who stayed here also) was sleeping, she had night out last night, but she never had breakfast on weekend anyway, according to Alicia. She rather slept some more. Anyway, I have been feeling so much better today, no headache, tiny tiny little bit of light-headed still, but it hasn't bothered me at all. I decided to go out to the center to get my laptop connected. Alicia taught me how to take the bus, which bus and how to get back. She wrote this paper, spoken Spanish to me like I understand. The truth I didn't know a word she said. I kinda get an idea but can't be sure what I am looking for. Anyway, wait until I tell you about the ride, this is a good one. :)

So, she just happened to go out, I was ready, I asked her to show me to the bus stop. She mistakened that I was going, so we went to the bus stop, she stopped the bus and asked to get in, I said, no no, bolsa, I don't think that's right word for my bag, but there was nothing I could do in that situation. I didn't even have my phrasebook with me. Anyway, she got it, just explained to me, now this is what you needed to look for and all. Ok... now I got back to the house, got my stuffs and grabbed my bag and off I went. Here it is... I waved the bus, I tell you this is not exactly a bus, it's cargo van which can fit maybe 8-10 people including the front seats. And man, there got 25 people in there already, I stepped in, I was standing and I had to band almost half way down, like a bowing position, when the car moved, I fell onto the girl in front of me, she gave a look. Oh boy, that was embarrassing. A few streets later, there was a seat available in the back, I made the impossible task to make my way to that seat, better than standing. Any western friends of mine I know, except one of two, can never fit in this van in that position! To sit down, maybe, there is no room really, you might need to hug your legs to fit in that. It only cost 60 Soles, or US$0.20, it is really cheap, but like Sarah Palin, I bet ya, ya're not gonna do it!

So, got to the center areas of Cuzco, around 10am maybe, it was already filled with tourist, but frankly you will just captivated by the tiny alleys, the stones, the building, the beautiful scenery. It's really quite something, it has some magical feeling about this town. Everywhere, you see Inka people in their traditional clothing, with their double pig tails. I would really want to get a picture of that if I have a chance. Anyway, I was just amazed by this city. I would recommend anyone to come here any time any day.

Found my cafe where I could plug my computer, chatted with friends, updated my blog. About lunch time, I must find the bus back based of Alicia's note. I did it. Lunch is excellent today, it is a potato stuffs with some meat and stuffs, and deep fried. It is just tasty. Look at the photo album of today, you will see it. Amanda was there, so we talked and agreed let's go out together, so we can split a taxi. We did. So much better. I wished my Spanish lesson schedule would be the same as hers, so we can take the taxi instead of the bus, and not feel too bad. The taxi ride is like 3 Soles, about US$1. But I would have to go back and forth for meals, that would add up if I keep taking taxi. Anyway, met two friends of Amanda, Mark (from Canada) and Mariah (from Holland), we had juice and then coffee. JUst had a pretty chat. It was just great meeting some people about the same age and just hanged out. I know they go to bar too at nights, but I can go, I don't drink. Don't want to be a party poopers. Anyway, before we met Mark and Raina, we were waiting outside of McDonalds, sitting at those stones steps. Many inka or just Peruvians kids, men, women, would come to sell you stuffs. And these two girls wearing their traditional clothings have this bags or whatever you call over their shoulders, and guess what they pulled out, it's two baby llamas, tiny little thing. It is so cute, and adorable. It asked for like 1 Soles (US$0.33) to take a picture with them. We didn't do it, but after the coffee, we did. See the pictures as well. It's so cool.

I have a very difficult to control myself not to buy anything, this is not that kind of trips, I don't need more weight to carry, but gosh, their stuffs are so cheap, whether I need or not is another story. BUT, I have been good, I have not bought anything. Hope I can maintain that. Got back home now, but Amanda and I are going to have dinner in 30 mins. Just have some much to tell and just want to drop them down. I bet I will take a lot of photos in Cuzco. Though one of camera batteries is dying on me already, I should have got the original Canon brand, instead of the generic one. Damn! Hope I can find a replacement somewhere before Machu Picchu.

More next time.

Photos here: Day 5

Footnote: Just a wonderful day. Nothing more to add, finally feeling myself a bit. I bet you can see it from the sound of this post. But giving you a headup, I am gonna change my route a little bit to fit the budget, since I can foresee that I would spend more than I expected for the local tours. It would be great to see everything, but I don't want to spend every dim that I have, and ask mom for money when I'll get home. Basically I am dropping 2 long and out of the way trips (to some rural areas), instead of I am doing a more easily accessible national park in northern Chile, which I would still see like snow-cap volcanos, altiplano lakes..etc. More details in my next blog. I am checking with the airlines about the flight availability.