Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 24 : Toray Day 5 : Pisac ruin



Excursion of the day is to visit the nearby Pisac ruin. It's an school activity, so we get a pick up van to take us up the hill, instead of taking a taxi or hike up ourselves. Except Mike (from Canada) who I went to Ollantaytambo with, he prefers to hike so he get off earlier to hike up himself. He is one hack of a hiker! And fast too. He told me yesterday that he went to India, Napel and Himalaya for 3 months last year, just did some trekking. That's pretty cool, I thought, for a person his age (early 20s). Anyway, we get there at the Pisac ruin entrance around 1:30pm maybe, my "expired" tourist ticket obviously still works. No one pays any attention to the date, it seems. The site is huge, it takes us about 2 to 2 and a half hours to hike back down. We takes it slow though, lots of steps, uneven steps. There are some amazing views of the Sacred Valley, the Rio Urubamba, Pisac town, terraces, and farmlands. Among Ollantaytambo, Moray, and Salinas, Pisac is another site around Cuzco I highly recommend to anyone who come to visit.

After Pisac ruins, half of the students need to get back to school for classes, the other half just do whatever they like. I go to my favorite cafe again to edit my photos, just take it easy. Lena (from Germany) join me for a little while, then I am there alone for the rest of the afternoon. I order a small pizza, they make it from scratch, I see them preparing it with the rolling stick rolling the pizza base, put it on a wood block, and then into a stone oven. It is more than delicious. I also have a regional drink called chicha morada (made from purple corn) which is pretty good as well. I should write a brief review of this cafe next. It comes as a surprise that I find a cafe I like so much in this village.

At night, a group of us and a professor plays UNO for a while, as it gets late, one after another leaves for bed and only Alan, Mike and me remains by 11:00pm. Another professor put the The Lord Of The Ring (dubbed in Spanish) in the DVD machine, so we watch about 40-50 mins. It's very interesting. I feel like I am able to pick up a few words here or there. When I will go back to Hong Kong, I need to play Almodovar movies without the subtitle, see if I can pick up more words.

Today is rather peaceful actually, nothing too exhausting or too exciting. But at the same time, I enjoy myself, no need to be adventurous everyday.

Photos here: Day 24