Thursday, October 8, 2009

Day 9 - Meeting with Jesus



Another day in Cuzco, I have developed a schedule for this week, first I have breakfast at home, take a bus to have my Spanish class in the morning, go back to homestay on a bus for lunch. After that, I would join Amanda to go out again (on taxi most likely cause we can split the cost), she attends her afternoon class, while I would do some emailing and blog posting in an internet cafe for an hour or so, around 4:00pm, I start to do some intown sightseeing. And at 6:40pm, I will meet Amanda again to go home together for dinner. Depending whether we have gathering with other classmates, we might go out again at nights. Next week, my class will be in the afternoon, I may have to find a different schedule, but probably I would still spend a lot of time in the downtown areas.

Today sightseeing is called San Cristobal, a huge Jesus statue up on a hill. To go there, one needs to hike up a steep hill. The statue is actually not far from an Inka ruin. At first, I wanted to find someone else to go with, but the Brit and the Swiss already visited there. Amanda has not gone there but she has afternoon classes, her schedule is always opposite from mine, so it won't work. Anyway, at 4:30pm, I just come out of the internet cafe, I see that the sun is shining right on the statue, so I thought, what the hack, just go by myself. The hike itself is quite tough, oh god, I start to breathe really heavily when I am only half way up. The road leads to the Inka Ruin - Sacsayhuaman, but the path to the Jesus statue is not very well-marked. At one point, I don't know whether I walk too far already or not, so I ask a guy who is walking his dog. He points to a path going uphill that is not marked at all, but you can vaguely see it's a path. So, I walk up as I am instructed. From afar, I finally see Him, all white, standing tall, with arms spreading wide open. There are not many people, maybe just 4 or 5 locals, and they are leaving. As I get closer though, I realize the statue is not that big. From the Plaza, I thought the statue would be even bigger. Guess this is not Rio de Janeiro. It's only a small version.

I take my pictures, the sun is about to set, and across the horizon, above the mountains, storms are coming in too. I know I should get down before dark. Since the path is very quiet, I am not sure if it is safe at night really. So, I hurry down, bump into a young man and a girl, they are like in their early teens. He is carrying her on the back, playing along for fun. Soon, we somehow start a conversation in both Spanish and English as we're all going, basically they are inquiring me a lot of questions, where you are from, how many brother and sisters...etc. Anyway, they are not harmful. Although later when I get home, I tell the house mom that I go to San Cristobal today, she asks me if I go by myself. I say Yeah, and then she is like, "No No No Benny, it's dangerous to go there by yourself. People might take your camera and money. Always go with someone." I have my laptop in my bag too, so I guess I am really lucky and haven't get robbed. I can see how it can be dangerous, the path is not guarded.

Anyway, done is done. Right? I will visit that Inka Ruin (not far from Jesus) on Friday afternoon, hopefully I would be able to find a travel companion by then. Otherwise, I will take a taxi up. After today's hike, I begin to worry about my 2 days trekking to Machu Picchu, for which I will hike 7 hours on the first day, and 3-4 hours on the second day. Gosh, today the 20-30 mins hike is already making me out of breathe. This is not good. I need to do some hiking exercises for the next 2 weeks, to prepare for Machu Picchu.

Getting sleepy already, better head to bed. More tomorrow.

Photos here: Day 9