Sunday, November 1, 2009

Day 34 : Walking in Rhythm in Arequipa



The actual first day to sightseeing in Arequipa. I leave the hostel around 10:00am, pass by some tour agents to inquire about the 2 days Colca Canon tour and 1 day salt lake tour. Everyone is doing the canon tour when they come to Arequipa so it's quite formulated, I realize, after I ask around in 7-8 tour agencies. It costs between 60-180 Soles depending the hotel of your choice. At the end, I join a tour for 60 Soles (US$20) for tomorrow and will come back on Tuesday. We will stop at the highest point at 4910 meters to see 3 volcanoes, some village, a hot spring, then onto a lookout place to see the world's second deepest canon and the condors. For the salt lake tour, turn out it is much more difficult to find. It sounds like a beautiful place, a huge salt lake set behind some 6000m mountains and volcano, and there are often different kind of flamingos around. But the problem is that it does not have a regular tour. I must do a private tour, and it will cost US$120 if I have no one to split the cost. So, I am not doing it. Instead, after I will come back to the canon, I will join a local suburb tour. Arequipa is big, there are some surrounding neighborhoods that is recommended by the Lonely Planet, a half day suburb tour probably will save me from bargaining with the taxi driver constantly. Will take an early to Tacna (the border city with Chile) on Thursday morning (Nov 5). Still debating whether I want to stay in Tacna for a day instead of going straight to Chile. We'll see.

After dealing with all the agents, I visit the 'Juanita' or the ice maiden. She is a mummy, sacrificed during the Inka time (about 500 years ago). She was so well-preserved because she was located on the top of some 6300m Andean mountain completely frozen until the nearby volcano erected in 1995, the snow started to melt, and she was eventually exposed and are found by some anthropologists. Her internal organs are all intact. She was completely dehydrated of course, so she looks much small than a 12-14 years old girl. There are 3 other sacrified children in the same period and region, supposedly there was some disasters at the time. They were all found by Juanita is the only one on display and the most well-perserved as well. It is really quite interesting to see actually.

Lunch at some local joint, a big dish of stuffed pepper, something like a lasagna but made by slice of potato and cheese, some deep fried something, and rice. Chicha morada (a purple corn drink) and a grossly-textured fruit jam/sauce (whatever it is). The meal is for 5 Soles. Enough to make me very full.

Visit the convent of Santa Catalina, a must visit if you come to Arequipa. It's actually right across from my hostel, taken the whole block by itself with walls surrounded it like a small town on its own. It was a monasteries for monks or nuns. The walls are in bright colors such as red, blue and yellow, which is quite unusual, like they were having a great time in there. But it was from Spanish colonial time, that may be why. To enter the convent is expensive, for 30 Soles (no student discount), equivalent to US$10, but I was there wondering around for 2 - 2 and a half hour. It is so relaxing in there. They also make their own pastry and have a tiny cafe where I have my first coffee and a carrot cake after my 2 days diarrhea. They let you take picture anywhere in the convent, that's also a major reason why I enjoy this place so much. Just look at the pictures of the day. You know what I am talking about.

Just cruising around the streets aimlessly for another hour, among the countless colonial buildings. Behind the main plaza, you can see two huge mountains (one active volcano) in the background. It is really unfortunate that the air is smoggy (probably because of air pollution) that you can only vaguely see the mountains behind the white smog. Maybe after the rain, the pictures will show much more clear. But oh well, I can wait for the crowds to step out of my picture frame, but I can't wait for the rain.

There are some guys sitting on the street trying to chat me up. I have no idea what their intentions are, but I can barely understand their Spanish anyway, so we talk for like 2 mins, I just shook my head and say I need to move on.

Need to leave for the Canon at 7:30am, so I better sleep earlier tonight. That's all for now. More after the Canon...

Photos here: Day 34 (Arequipa City), Day 34 (Santa Catalina Convent)