Monday, November 30, 2009

Settling in yet... not really but getting there



Been back to Hong Kong for 4 days now, I am sitting here in my living room at 2:30pm in the afternoon, waiting for the cable guy to arrive to set up the internet for me. Quite frankly, I can't wait. It will give me so much more to do in the days and nights, to research for job, to get my resume ready, to check email, or just to chat with friends. Like all technology, soon enough we become so dependent on it, now without internet for days, almost feel like I am disabled. Quite scary that way really. Want to quit it, but so hard. :)

Things are getting in places slowly, while money is drifting away rapidly. I have got a bookcase and a desk from IKEA, a coffee press from Starbucks, a new pillow and other necessities for my room, also a new cell phone number without the cell phone from One2Free. I just use my old phone from the US, do need to pay a fee to unlock it (since all phones from the US are shamelessly locked to avoid you to use other providers' sim cards, here we don't have that restriction). I need to sign a one year contract with the phone company though even though I just open an account for the number, quite annoying really. The internet should be ready today as well, it's a 2 years freaking contract. Everything requires a contract, tied you up for life if they can, a legal way to practice slavery. Now, I am just waiting for the furniture to be delivered on Wednesday and my stuffs from the US to arrive in 2 weeks. Then I should be able to begin my "new" life here.

Still haven't found a local bank to open an account. Originally, I plan to use Bank of America here, since all my money in the US side is in BOA. I thought it might be more convenient to transfer money if I have another account in their Hong Kong branch. However, turn out the retail banking sector is no longer existed in Hong Kong. They sold to some other banks, so my big plan does not work. I can still get my money from ATM machines, just need to get a couple hundreds US dollar at a time and do it for a week or two (because there is a daily limit how much you can withdraw). Then, I will deposit my money back to a local bank, I feel like money laundering, but not really, it's my own money! I try to choose the local bank carefully, since they all have fees and restrictions written in small print under the table right by the thighs. Besides, the culture here is very strange, banks often links with retailers, and they get a certain advantages at a certain places. It is quite confusing and complex if you really dig it. But for me, I just want to choose one that is not the least favorable.

After I put the furnitures up this Wednesday, I'll take some picture of my room.