Sunday, November 22, 2009

Day 54 : Sydney Day 1 - 8km with the lizards



Arrive at Auckland at 4:30am local time, after an hour stopover in New Zealand, we continue our way to Sydney, Australia. With adjusting the time difference, we are landed at Sydney International Airport just a few minutes before 7am. The last time I came to Sydney was in 2000. Now, I come here again after almost a decade, just wondering what have changed over the 9 years. The staffs at the custom are as friendly, although they are quite strict about the stuffs you are bringing in the country now. One has to declare almost everything, including any any wooden articles. I have a small wooden refrigerator moai magnet from Easter Island, I need to declare that or I may be penalized for 60,000 Australian dollars.

I am the first few that comes out of the flight, my backpack also come out fast which is quite unusual. But anyway, I am glad that the whole custom process goes by smoothly. When I get through the arrival gate, I spot Robbie from a distance right away. We hug. No time no see my friend, ba..ba..ba.. We are on our way back to town, first train, then ferry. I try to pay attention to the surroundings, for the most part, Sydney is just as what I can remember. The ferry passes by the Harbour Bridge, and the Opera House which is still captivating whenever you lay your eyes on it. Robbie has moved to this new apartment in Neutral Bay just two months ago, so I have no memory of this place or its neighborhood. I recognize the books on the shelves, some of the CD and DVDs though. Usually, those are the things I notice first whenever I go to someone's house anyway. I desperately need to brush my teeth and take a shower after over 24 hours without doing so. Otherwise, the neighbors would call the police complaining about the fault smelling coming out from Robbie's apartment. It's not that bad really, but I really need a shower.

After I clean myself and sit down finally, I start to feel sleepy. Oh boy, I can definitely feel the jet lag, even though it's not too bad. But it is only 9:30am. I know I must stay awake at least until after dinner, or the jet lag will really hit me hard the next few days. I tell Robbie I need to keep doing things today, just tell me to clean the kitchen, or I would feel asleep. Kindly, my host has not asked me to clean anything other than myself. Instead, we go out to have an early brunch at a restaurant called Chaos. What a name! The egg benedict is rather outstanding actually. After that and after we come back to put my laundry to the dryer, we go out to the beach side for a walk. Because I hope to get some sun tan during my time in Sydney. It's a good chance for Robbie to show me how to get to the beach. So I can go back there myself next week when he will be at work.

Although I know we are going to do a bit of walking, I do not expect it is a 8km hike on a scenic trail. I am actually not complaining at all, the Manly Scenic Walkway is really beautiful, and the more I walk, the more I am distracted from the jet lag. That's the goal. Since we really take the time, and stop here and there to sit, and/or allow me to take pictures, we probably spend 3-4 hours just walking. There are tons of lizards on the path, oh god, please help me get through this. Every single time I see one, I got surprised by it. There are a couple times I am so surprised that literally I immediately step back a few feet. Their sudden move is what freak me out. I start to make a lot of noise with my flip flop when I walk, so my little lizard friends can be aware that I am coming and start creeping away. Please... :P Apart from the lizards, I am totally devoted my attentions to the colorful stones, the green and clear sea water, the plants and other "bigger" animals like birds, and of course, the men and women on the beaches, both the cute and the ugly. Obviously, I have things to say about either of them inside when they are passing my eye sights. Oh... hello there... or ah, honey, you better put some clothes on.

Take a ferry back to downtown, then change a bus back to the Neutral Bay. I have the second shower of the day, then Robbie prepares the dinner for tonight: some salad and chicken in coconut curry with rice, which tastes pretty good actually. Although I really want to write my blog, I am really feeling the exhaustion after the long flight and the hike today. Just watch some VH1, have a cup of tea, then Robbie set up the sofa bed for me, I am asleep by 10:30pm or so.

Photos here: Day 54