Friday, November 27, 2009

Day 59 : Sydney to Hong Kong



Wake up at 6:20am, I already packed most of the stuffs last night, so there is really not much to pack. Just make sure I haven't left anything behind, that's all. As usual, have some coffee and toast, take a shower before we leave the house at 8am. Take the ferry to Circular Quay where I will transfer to a train to the airport. Say goodbye to Robbie, thank him for welcoming me to his place. I am looking forward to seeing him again either in HK, Sydney or Canada if he is going to have a wedding there someday. I quite like Sydney, so I am sure I'll be back someday anyway.

I am taking a Qantas flight at noon today, there is a long line for international flights, but the line goes quicker at least. Have my bag checked, pass the customs, then I find myself a cafe to have a coffee and write my blog until boarding. The crying kids at the gate particularly annoy me, they are two brothers, one is hitting the others and telling him he is an idiot. That kids cannot be older than 3 years. The father is ordering the elder brother to stand by the wall, but he just cries his lungs out, and so does his younger brother who has just squeezed some water onto his brother's shirt before they start to fight. Both deserves some good handy spanky, in my opinion.

The flight is quite full, the attendant for my aisle is particularly absent-minded. She has forgot drinks, collecting trays for a few rows. She might as well forget where she is and start sleeping on the floor. Apart from her, the flight is smooth and the food is good. I watch a movie called Mao's Last Dancer, which Robbie just recommended me about a few days ago. It is indeed quite good, and it makes my eyes wet. It actually occurs in a moment kind of embarrassing: I am just so touched by the scene when the main character rejoin with his parents in the states, the tears are flooding in my eyes, while my kind neighbor happens to ask me if I want a piece of chocolate from her box at that time. I am like hold it, grab a piece of chocolate, say thanks, not dare to look at her. She is the friendly mom type. Another movie I watch is called The State Of Play, starring by Russell Crowe and Ben Afflick, about a political scandal, good acting but poor choice for a flight movie. After another 6 TV programs: four 30 Rock and two The Simpsons later, I literally have enough of TV and have to turn it off. Luckily, we are also arriving soon. I look out of the window, and see some green barren islands sticking out from the surface of the sea, like they have just dropped out from the sky. I can just recognize them right away, almost like the signature of Hong Kong really.

Land at Hong Kong Int'l Airport at 5:45pm, the sky is already getting dark. Just a week or two ago, it was 10C here, and now it's back to 25C, I feel kind of warm really because I carry two heavy backpacks on my back and on my front. The custom has not given me much troubles, just curious why I don't have my HK ID with me. Oh well, I just say I left it at home even though I really have no idea where it went. Walking out the airport, quite frankly, I have mixed feelings, this time is so much different than the past few times I came back from the US. I guess because this time is for permanent. I am happy to see my family and friends and feel excited about a lot of things I am going to see and do, but I know very well that starting anew is not gonna be easy, finding a job, sleeping in my old room which has long become a storage room, I need to get some new furnitures for my room like a bookshelf, a desk and perhaps a bed, also need to get a cell phone, set up internet, a bank account...etc. It will take a while, it will take a while, I keep myself. Just take one step at a time.

After all, I am home, taken a long way but here I am, back for good.

Photos here: Day 59