Friday, November 27, 2009

Day 58 : Sydney Day 4 - Manly Beach



Quite a fabulous day actually. Get up around 6 or 7am, but fall back asleep and get up again around 9:40am. Not sure if I still have jet lag or not, I do get awaken fairly early, but usually I manage to sleep an hour or two more after laying in bed for awhile. And in the daytime, I don't feel tired at all. Anyway, the weather is absolutely fab today, blue sky, not too hot, around 25-26C, with some breezes, and certainly not cold at all. I can finally go sunbathing at the beach.

I have the leftover curry chicken with rice from a few nights ago for lunch, after that, I head down to the bus stop and hop on the Bus#143 which takes me to the Manly Beach. Maybe 1:30pm, I am looking for some tanning oil in some pharmacies in Manly. I have a No.30 for my face in my bag actually, but my body below the head is all white except the arms, I want to get a No.4 or even No.2 to get some tan on my body, or someone would say I have worn an invisible vest! I have looked in two pharmacies, there are lots of 30+ tanning oil, but not many low number ones. Robbie told me once that because some many people are getting skin cancer from the sun these days, the government starts to tell people not to sunbath too much. Perhaps it's really the case. Anyway, I find a No.6 tanning oil, when I pay, the cashier gives me a warning saying that oil has very low protection and I should consider getting a higher number. Very nice of her. But I pull up the sleeve of my shirt and tell her that I need some colors on some parts of my body.

As a weekday, I am surprised to find so many people at the beach, don't people need to work here in Australia? Last Saturday, we were at the beach next to the wharf. This time, I walk to the other side of the peninsula, where the real Manly Beach is. Over at that side, the water is very wavy, many people are surfing. The beach itself is beautiful, the sand is very fine, the water is clean and in light green. I walk past the field where the kids are playing volleyball, find a place with less crowds, I lay down my Woodstock Music Festival beach towel, show off my not so sexyback, and apply the tanning oil on my body. Not exactly sure how long I do my front, about 7-8 songs, I guess, I am listening the latest album of a band called The Gossip. And then I do my back for another 7-8 songs. Front again. When I finally decide to go into the water, I have already listened to 3 albums. Enough tanning for a day. The water is very cold, but with the sun, it is ok. Only wet for a few minutes, I go back up, sit for a little bit while taking some pictures of the surfers and the cuties. Then, I pack up and leaves. It is already 5pm, I need to get home before Robbie, or he will be stuck outside of the house.

We pick up some pizza for dinner, and I watch the movie Angels and Demons on the movie channel while we are eating it. Honestly, I find the movie though entertaining but not enough wow factors, the plot and how the director handles the film is very similar to the De Vinci's Code. I mean, yeah, I am slightly surprised by the ending, but it hasn't wowed me. What really "wow" me or more like "scare" me tonight is that I cannot locate my Hong Kong identity card while I am heading home in less than 24 hours. Now I think of it, I can't recall when I saw it last either. Before I left the US, I made a copy of all my identification and I certainly didn't have it then. Hopefully, I kept it at my mom's, otherwise, I will have it replaced when I get back to Hong Kong.

Photos here: Day 58