Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day 56 : Sydney Day 3 - CD Shopping



Despite the fact I slept quite late last night, I have woken up rather early this morning. Robbie head out to work around 8am, I guess, I am not exactly sure actually. But after he leaves the house, I just take it easy, have some toasts and coffee for breakfast. Watch some TV, use the internet, take a shower, before I know it, it's like almost noon. So, I fix myself the leftover pasta with chorizo in melted cheese again. Well, I have enough for at least 2 days' lunches. It's good, save me money. In fact, the US dollar is so weak now, I am not sure if I should be spending much here. It is like 1 to 0.9 something from AUD to USD. The prices I have seen in shops here seems fairly high to me, like a sandwiches with chips and drink I had yesterday cost like AUD 15, a regular CD price is like AUD 22 (that's a lot for Christ's sake). Although in the states, apart from the listed price, you need to pay the tax on top of it, here in Australia, the listed price has already included the tax, so the number you see on the sticker is what you pay. I like that, nothing jumps out at you at checkout. For restaurants too, no tipping is expected. THAT is so much better.

Plan of the day is to go downtown on my own, check out some CD shops. I doesn't have to buy stuffs, just want to check things out. One or two cheap DVDs might satisfy my shopping desire, we'll see, right? So, after lunch, make sure I have the door locked and carry the "key" with me, which is the only copy, such a big responsibility, I am not sure if Robbie has put it on the right hand. Anyway, successfully get to downtown, go back to the Virgin Record Megastore, find nothing. Walk to the Oxford Street, hoping to find Central Station, which is a dance record shop that I visited 9 years ago and bought a lot of CDs as I still remember. But I walk up and down the Oxford Street and cannot find it, even though the website says it is still there. Don't know, maybe I just miss it completely?? It starts to rain when I am walking on the Oxford Street, all the clubs and bars are closed. There are some alternative clothing shops, adult shops kind of stuffs opened, but the street is rather quite in the afternoon. I walk back toward the Hyde Park, take a picture of the noisy bird on the tree. Then I go to another CD/DVD shop in World Square Shopping Center where I buy 2 DVDs. Oh well...I walk in that shop for almost 2 hours, I feel almost like a duty that I need to buy something. :P

Meet Robbie at QVB (Queen Victoria Building) around 5:30pm, we are going to have a drink with Trevor, a colleague of Robbie, who I actually met many years ago in Sydney and in Hong Kong when he came over to visit with his ex-wife and son. We go to a place called the Small Bar, quite cozy actually. I am introduced to try lemon lime and bitters, a non-alcoholic drink, I like it. Quite refreshing. It is good to meet up with Trevor again, I like him, he is a funny English guy who has lived in Australia for 27 years. We have 2 rounds of drink, while Robbie and I have an extra round before Trevor arrives. 3 rounds of drink is guarantee way for peeing all night.

I don't know, maybe it 8:30pm or so, we head the home way, pick up some Thai takeaway and eat at home while I watch a movie called The Boat That Rocked on the movie channel. The basil chicken here is very different than the one I had in the states. Honestly, I prefer the one I had in the states. Will have to try to find one similar to that in Hong Kong. Tonight, I feel very exhausted for some reasons, go to bed around 11:30pm.

Photos here: Day 56