Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 47 : Easter Island Day 1 : The sky is leaking



By 7:30am, I already check in at the LAN's airport counter, I grab a bite to eat and then wait for the flight for almost 1 hour and a half. The flight journey is smooth, I watch Breakfast's at Tiffany again on the flight, well, there are 50 some movies to choose from, I thought I watch something with style. In fact, I just love that movie very much, and not bored by watching it over and over again. I thought I would always remember that, watching Breakfast's At Tiffany while I am flying to Easter Island. The 2nd movie I watch is The Devil Wears Prada, it's ok I guess, not exactly agreeing my taste, but I am not rejecting it either. With the same cast, I prefer the other movie called Julie & Julia more.

The flight journey takes 5 and a half hour, roughly 2000 miles off shore. There are 2 hours time difference from Santiago to Easter Island. When we arrive, it is exactly 1:15pm. I am welcomed by the hostel's owner with the flower necklace. The sky is very cloudy, the rain is just about the come down. The host Tesera gives me a quick town tour on her vehicle, just tell me where the groceries, post office are for instance, we see the first moai too, which is just by the town center near the sea. When we arrive at the house, the rain has just started to spill out. My room is a 3-beds room, with a private bathroom. For US$35, relatively cheap on the island's standard, I don't think I should complain about the color or the gecko on the ceiling (which I seriously hate, I am pretending it is not there right now. I am in tropical areas now, guess I can't avoid that.)

It's almost 3pm when I finally get out to find tours. I am surprised by what Tesera has told me, she says most of the business will close for Sunday (some starting from Saturday afternoon) that I may not be able to find any tour at all. With that warning in mind, I quickly search for tour agency. With only 4000 population on the island, I guess I overestimate their tourism business. There are really only 6 or 7 tour agencies. Among them, 4 has closed already when I get there, one of the opened ones has tours all fully booked, the other one is mainly for activities like horseback, hiking and diving. The last one has tour only for weekdays, so I book a tour with them for Monday. However, I find no tour for tomorrow, after I walk around town for 2 hours in the rain. I am like, are you kidding me? I am coming all the way here for nothing. The agency with fully booked tour suggests me to call another agent in the morning and see about availability. But it does not look good. If I can get a half-day tour is good enough, there is a part of the island, I think I can hike on my own since there is only one road to get there even though I do not prefer to do that. My other option is to use a private guide which will cost me a fortune. So, I am crossing my fingers that I will be able to find something in the morning. I actually inquire if I can do the horseback riding, but because of the rain, it is not possible.

After the failure with the tour hunt, I walk around the coastline in the rain and feisty winds. I do have gone back to grab an umbrella, but with that wind, the umbrella is really useless. There are a couple of pictures I looks completely stupid trying to take a picture of myself with the moais in the rain. I do find some 8-9 moais on my first day on the island though, which is kind of exciting! The food is terribly expensive, give you an idea: I have spent 60 US dollars today on foods... for some sandwiches, a lunch set, couple coffees, some bananas, and some bottle of water...etc. Almost everything on the menu, no matter how simple food it is, it costs over CH$10000, that's like US$15-20. I know this is Easter Island, but when you see your wallet shrinking 1/3 just on the first day, I am kind of worried.

Anyway, still at least 2 more full days, I will try to enjoy myself the best I can. I wish the Lonely Planet would mention about the island's businesses are closed for the weekends though, especially the important thing like tour agency. Only if I have known, I would pick a weekdays to come instead of weekends. I am also unlucky with the rain, it has started to fall down since 3-4pm, and it has not stopped since, and it is getting heavier too. My pants are all wet and so as my stuffs in my backpack. I am hoping it will stop during the night and will give me a clear day tomorrow. Otherwise, I will be stuck. Fingers cross, toes cross, everything cross... good weather.... please.

Photos here: Day 47