Sunday, November 22, 2009

Day 55 : Sydney Day 2 - The heat wave



Woke up 3 times to use the bathroom last night, guess I drank too much tea before going to sleep. Anyway, I get up at 9am this morning, the almost 11 hours of sleep has recharged me to my fullest energy. I don't feel tired from the jet lag anymore. However, according to the weather report, today is gonna be one of the hottest November days in Sydney in record, high at 41C. Remind you Sydney is supposed to be still in spring time. Just as a friend told me a few days ago, Hong Kong had a 10C, which I thought it was pretty unusual to get that cold in November in Hong Kong. Again, these just prove the weather pattern is so messed up by the global warming. Who knows, someday, the summer and winter in South and North Hemispheres might completely switch. We would be lucky if it is only that simple.

To start off the day, for breakfast, we eat some extra grainy toasts, coffee and I have an extra apple. Shower and get ready to go out. Our plan of the day is to go downtown, Robbie needs to show me a few things: very importantly, where the record shops are, apparently, HMV has closed their businesses in Australia, which although I am not surprised, it is still quite shocking to hear that I cannot go there anymore. BTW, is HMV in Hong Kong still operating? I hope. Luckily, there is still a Virgin Record Megastore here in Sydney, so I gotta go there. He also needs to show me where the bus station is for buses going home, and probably a place we might meet up during the weekdays after his work. Since it is so hot today, I suggest perhaps we should stay indoor and maybe go to see a movie in a theatre after downtown, or if watch a DVD at home. I would really like to see Where The Wild Things Are, but it is not released in Australia until early December. Find that Departures, the Japanese movie which won the Oscar's Best Foreign Movie last year, is still showing here. Even though I had seen it twice already, Robbie has never seen it, so I thought maybe we can go to see it. That's the original plan.

When we head to the ferry pier, we can already feel the stuffy air today, the heat is like trapped in between the heaven and the hell. But it is still bearable at the moment. Get to downtown, walk around, find the Virgin, she is so freaking expensive from the first glance, a regular CD is like AUD 22 dollars, I mean geez louise. But you never know, with me and the CD shops, I might end up finding some cheap to buy. That's a task for tomorrow. Have lunch at the basement of a mall, at a food hall, haven't been to those for ages. Gosh, I like to eat almost everything, I am not good choosing, are you kidding me? But at least I know what I am ordering. After I make my final verdict, I give my stomach a supremo chicken wrap, fries and green tea. The extra Nando's Peri-Peri hot sauce is needed to give it some kicks. Good wrap. After that, we walk by a few more CD shops. Robbie, you are such a friend! I am so tempted to buy a lot of DVDs, but I hold back. I'll do it when nobody's watching tomorrow. Hehe... since we are already past the movie schedule, I suggest that I would buy a DVD and we can watch it at home. In fact, I notice Pan's Labyrinth is quite reasonable priced for a 2DVD, I liked that movie and Robbie hasn't seen it. OK. Let's do it. We originally are walking toward the Oxford Street where the shiny happy people are. But with that heat, Robbie asks me if I still really want to go, I haven't needed to think about it, I already say, not really.

So, we hop on a bus and head home. Tonight's chef is moi. I make a super unhealthy pasta with chorizo in melted cheesesssss...of course, that is pretty much the only thing I can make that is edible. It is actually perfect, I get tons of leftover for lunches the next two days, so I can save some money and use it on CD shopping. After the movie, I am writing my blog, while Robbie is chatting with his other half online. I also jump in and say a Hello for a sec. I agreed to be the best man for their wedding, so I am really looking forward to that. I have stayed up quite late tonight, like 1:30am, guess I am slowly getting back to my old Hong Kong habit.

Photos here: Day 55