Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 51 : Santiago - a relaxing day



Does not really have any plan for the last 2 days in Santiago, just gonna lay low, take it easy. I look at my Lonely Planet guide this morning and think maybe I can go to see the Museum of Contemporary Art, I usually like that kind of museums with modern art exhibitions. Nothing's in a rush or if it is not interesting, it's no big deal either. It's near by the Cerro Santa Lucía, which was recommended to me by a Swedish woman I met on the Easter Island. So maybe I can stop by there if I have "time" left over. :P

So, I don't know, around noon maybe, I finally pull myself out the room, walk to the Plaza de Armes, where I find a place to have lunch, chicken with fries and a glass of orange juice (size grande). Then, I take the metro train to Bellas Artes, the arty neighborhood with tons with sidewalk cafes. I later find out though that I could have walked there from Plaza de Armes, just a few blocks away really. Oh well. Enter the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo with a student discount, I actually quite enjoy it. And the best of it, I can take as many pictures as I want. There are many rooms in the museum, and usually goes with a different theme in each room. In one particular room, it has theme of homosexuality or cross-dressing, I am not quite sure. But it has a time line goes all the way back to like 900 BC or something like that. Very interesting.

Cerro Santa Lucía is a small city park I guess, kind of remind me of the Hong Kong Park actually, a beautiful green land embedded in an urban area. There is a little castle in the park too, though it is closed when I are there, some film crews are doing some filming. I might end up appearing in some Latino film one day. It is around 4:00pm, I stop by a cafe, having a piece of cake and latte, using my laptop to connect to the internet. That cafe is so relaxing. I actually stay for almost an half and hour. The girl at the cafe is also talking to me. Kind of telling her where I am from, about my trip and about Hong Kong...etc. So far, honestly, I do find Chileans are quite friendly.

Walk in a supermarket as I am on my way back to the hotel. I walk every aisle as if I am in the US. I think I can live in this city, they have everything I need in the supermarket. Dinner with some takeouts in the hotel room, watching VH1. Tomorrow my flight to Sydney is scheduled for 11:10pm in the evening, so I basically have another day in Santiago. I might visit the museum of visual art and try another sidewalk cafe in the afternoon. Eat something before I'll head to the airport.

Photos here: Day 51 (Contemporary Art Museum), Day 51 (Cerro Santa Lucía)